DO I NEED TO BE BAPTIZED TO BE SAVED?
Whenever we talk or write about baptism, some will usually respond asking if one needs to be baptized in order to be saved. We believe salvation is by grace through faith alone. Responding to some questions, let's revisit the doctrine of baptism.
- 1. In Scripture, only those who were already saved by trusting Christ as their Savior, were baptized.
- 2. Scripture repeatedly tells us we are saved by faith alone. Works of any kind will neither add to nor take away from our salvation. According to Jesus, baptism is a work of righteousness.
- 3. Scripture tells us the thief on the cross was saved and at death he went to heaven to be with Jesus. He certainly was not baptized. Those who hold to the doctrine that you must be baptized in order to be saved brush this incident off saying, "Well, it took place before Christ arose from the dead." Let's be sure that before or after Christ's resurrection, this thief hanging on that cross beside the Lord Jesus would not have been able to come down from there to be baptized. He was saved. He was not baptized.
- 4. Scripture assures us that Jesus paid it all. At the time He chose, He gave up His life, shedding His sinless blood on Calvary's cross in complete payment for our sins. This completely satisfies the righteous requirements of our Holy God. We can add absolutely nothing whatsoever to this payment. When you and I go to the store, find what we need, and purchase it, we pay for it once. We're not expected to pay for it again. When Jesus purchased our salvation on the cross, He paid for it. He doesn't expect us to pay for it again. As sinners before a righteous God, we are unable to pay in any case. Jesus paid it all. Ours is but to believe and receive.
- 5. Scripture says, "For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, it makes no difference to God whether we are circumcised or not circumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love."
- 6. Scripture instructs us that water baptism is an act of obedience. Everyone who calls himself or herself a follower of Christ needs to obey Him. He tells us to be baptized so we certainly should be obedient to our Master. He says, "Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord, and do not the things that I say?" and "Those who obey My commandments are the ones who love Me."
- 7. We conclude from Scripture that the follower of Christ should be baptized. We conclude from Scripture that baptism into the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit takes place at salvation. We also conclude from Scripture that water baptism is not synonymous with salvation. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; It is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."
SCRIPTURE: Matthew 3:14; Luke 23:43; 6:46; Galatians 5:6; John 14:21; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV/NLT
IF YOU NEED A NEW TESTAMENT, WE WOULD LIKE TO BLESS YOU WITH A FREE NEW LIVING TRANSLATION ... OR ... IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO PRAY FOR YOU:
Please write: COWBOY GOSPEL MINISTRIES
P.O. Box 50032, Edmonton, AB
Canada T5Y 2M9
Phone Toll-Free 1-877-556-3719
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me ... the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out."
Sincerely in Him,
COWBOY GOSPEL MINISTRIES
Co-Pastor with Kevin Corbin
COWBOY CHURCH - Sherwood Park, AB
25 FREE Downloads from eMusic
. No Restrictions - Own Your Music!